Wednesday, December 20, 2006


More great sites for getting the most out of your computer


Recently I’ve received a lot of request for information on the sites I use for pricing and performance on video cards. First up, is Tom’s Hardware Guide, a site devoted to providing in-depth information for IT professionals and early adopters. The best information on the site is the benchmarking tests on video cards. While the rest of the site may provide more technical information than the casual user needs, the video card section is top notch and by using graphs, it’s easy for even novice users to see where their card falls.

When buying a new video card I keep an eye on Pricewatch to see just where prices are headed for the cards I’m waiting to buy. They also keep track of a myriad of other devices from DVD burners to Heat Sinks and Processors. Occasionally I find better deals on other equipment from other sources but on video cards, I’ve had great luck with Pricewatch. Remember, this is only a service that scrolls the internet and finds the best deals at a number of online stores. Keep an eye on the company’s rankings and do your homework before you buy from a retailer you don’t know.


I’ll throw this one in just for the fun of it, and because I do get many questions that eventually lead to my suggesting Shields Up. A wonderful service that allows you to scan your system for any security holes and provides lots of information on how to correct the issue. Everyone on the Internet should be using this site, and testing their connection. Even the most security conscious people I know, who claim their computers are secure, are surprised when they run Shields Up and get a real report on how secure their system really is.

No comments: